Sunday, February 24, 2019

Opportunities of a Lifetime (Week 7)

Blue and Gold everywhere.

Students engaged in conversation regarding what the theme for each day of FFA week will be. Whether it's blue and gold day, battle of the brands, official dress, or flannel Friday. 

FFA week has always been something that I've been incredibly passionate about. I mean, HELLO- school spirit/ club spirit has always kind of been my thing! 





When I was an FFA member in high school, the only time that I ever saw the state officers was at state convention in June, and the only time that I saw National FFA officers was when I was in Kentucky for National FFA Convention. 

This week, I was able to get the opportunity of a lifetime to meet a National FFA officer, and interact with State FFA officers. Seeing the work that both of these incredibly special young men and women were able to do in the classroom promoting agriculture and agricultural education was phenomenal and gave me a new found love for this organization. 
I hope that the students who were able to participate in the workshops by the National FFA Officer and State FFA Officers saw the impact the FFA can make in their lives and that it truly is not just plows, sows, and cows, but so much more about teamwork and leadership. 

Questions that I have: 
1. How do you discuss respect and expectations after a visitor has left? (Students were reminded of the expectations prior to the visit) 
2. What suggestions do you have for facilitating and managing a classroom when a visitor is in the room?
3. How do you assure that you are not "stepping on toes" when a visitor is in the room and you recognize that the class may have started to check out?

2 comments:

  1. Kayla,
    I am usually extremely active in role-modeling my engagement when a guest is in the room. At the same time, I use proximity-control a great deal to position myself physically in the room next to trouble spots.

    If things are not improved, I may quietly speak to the student or ask them to step out in the hall with me as I remove them from the situation.

    df

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla,

    1. How do you discuss respect and expectations after a visitor has left? (Students were reminded of the expectations prior to the visit)- I think it is important to have honest conversations with your students- which can only be done when that level of respect has been gained by both parties, which can be a challenge when student teaching.

    2. What suggestions do you have for facilitating and managing a classroom when a visitor is in the room?- I use a lot of proximity control- although it may be tempting to try and get other work done when you have a presenter- if you are not engaged chances are your students wont be either. I sit among my most challenging students and engage them in participating.

    3. How do you assure that you are not "stepping on toes" when a visitor is in the room and you recognize that the class may have started to check out?- It is still your classroom and in the case of a speaker that may be close in age to your students it is important to give them the experience of managing a class as well. Unless the behaviors are causing major distractions I will let them go and address them at the end of the period, both with the student privately, and with the presenter- if they are relatively new to that type of experience by giving them suggestions.

    ReplyDelete