Sunday, February 10, 2019

Do what you love. (Week 5)

It's crazy to think that we are 1/3 of the way through this experience.

It's even crazier to think of all of my cohort members who will be graduating in May, getting jobs, and some even getting married.

As I think back on the week, a lot of things stuck with me. I've learned to do what I love and love what I do.

The week started off on the wrong foot, I knew it was going to be a hectic week so I worked hard to complete my lessons for the week over the weekend, but also tried to master the work-life balance of spending quality time with my family for the super bowl.


Tuesday I was able to assist Mrs. Cashell-Martin with gathering the remaining supplies needed for our Alumni Basket BINGO event next week, I was also excited to connect with my #PSUAgEd19 family and talk about their instructional "protips".


The remaining three days of the week are a blur to be quite honest.
Thursday evening I was able to attend the "Taste of Maryland Agriculture" event with Dr. Foster and Mrs. Cashell-Martin. The evening ended late with an early morning and observations by Dr. Foster.


Through the hectic week and the feedback from my University Supervisor I've learned a few things.

1. Confidence comes with content knowledge, always be a day ahead of your students.
2. Love what you do, and do what you love.
3. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
4. Coffee comes in handy when you have late nights and early morning.
5. Keep pushing and increasing rigor.

My students have been amazing. They challenge not only themselves but also me to think beyond the content that's been taught. I've learned that although we are only scratching the surface in most subjects as we are agriculture educators and juggling many different balls at the same time, you always need to dig deeper into content knowledge.





I've learned that although I have a special passion for #AgEd4All, there is other ways to channel that passion while also serving the needs of the general education student population. I've found that your passion shines through in the subjects that you are passionate about, but you need to channel that passion and find something in every aspect of agriculture that you are passionate about to better serve the needs of your students.

I've learned that although some days are tough and you will truly never "know enough" about a topic, that the more that you push, and the more that you nurture that love and passion that you have created over the years, the more passion will shine through while you are educating and the more engaged your students will be.

I've also learned that it's never too late to change the ending.





2 comments:

  1. Kayla,
    Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed visiting.

    Don't forget to frame a question at the end of your blogs so your team members can have something specific to respond/answer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla, keep up the great work. You're probably finding that both your student teaching internship and time in general start FLYING by the deeper into this you go. Great job learning from students in your experience.

    ReplyDelete