Sunday, April 7, 2019

Facilitate more, talk less (Week 13)

This week, I learned a valuable lesson. The more you talk, the more students get confused.
The more you facilitate, the more they retain. As teachers, we should be facilitating the learning and promoting more critical thinking from our students. I have learned that the more that I talk and try to explain things to my students, the more confused they get. Whereas, if I give them instructions and a brief description, they are more likely to think critically and figure things out in the best way for them. That is not to say that we shouldn't lecture sometimes, because sometimes that the only way to get to our students, but we should be learning with our students and always remain one day ahead of them.

Image result for think more talk less
I have found that when I let my students think for themselves instead of spoonfeeding them information, they tend to retain more information and put it to practical use.

I have also learned that class time is valuable, if you are not coming in prepared each and every day and creating a sense of urgency for your students, you will never accomplish what needs to be done. Because students model what you are teaching.
Image result for sense of urgency
And last, but certainly not least. I continually come back to the realization that asking questions is not a bad thing. As a child, I was constantly picked on for being "dumb" or not knowing "enough", so I continually try to figure things out on my own. However, asking questions is the only way that you can get through this crazy thing called life, and it's okay to ask questions or ask for clarification.
Image result for ask questions
This week has been packed full with many realizations, some awesome interactions with students, some good conversations with my cooperating teacher, and a little bit of stress as well. In this road that we're travelling, it's always important to keep the "why" in mind and continue to grow each and every day.

Key Questions this week:
1. What is the best method for dealing with students who are defiant?
2. How do you leave at the end of this experience after making these awesome connections with students? How would you recommend spending your final few days with students?
3. As I continue on my teach ag journey, what are some of the best ways to gain content knowledge in addition to reading the textbooks?

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog Post Kayla (be sure to share in email with your mentor team!)

    1) Talk one-on-one (this is a complicated question)

    2) Create a "Memory Book" they can sign/leave comments & suggestions!

    3) Yay for Professional Organizations and their workshops!

    ReplyDelete