Friday, March 8, 2019

Begin with the end in mind (Week 9)

This week has been challenging.
I'm not afraid to admit that.
I just picked up my fourth class and will pick up my final class on Monday.

Transitioning content from day to day has been a struggle. I know the content that I want to teach for the day and how it all flows together, but then connecting it all to the unit as a whole has been a struggle.

I seem to have lost sight of keeping the end in mind.

Image result for begin with the end in mind

What I need to remember is that you will have bad days and bad weeks, but that doesn't mean that you are having a bad life. That doesn't mean that you are a bad teacher. That doesn't mean that you're a failure.

Image result for bad day not a bad lifeWhat I've also learned is that asking for help- again, is not a bad thing. If you are struggling, you NEED to ask for help. You are not being judged, or ridiculed, you just need to ask for help especially in areas that you may not be 100% confident in.

The shining moment of this week is that on Thursday, we had 5 public speakers, and an agricultural mechanics team compete at the regional level. I am proud of our members who placed incredibly high in both areas. We had 1st place creed speaker, 1st place prepared public speakers, and a  3rd place extemporaneous public speaker.

Our Agricultural Mechanics team placed first in the region with members placing 1st, 3rd, 6th, and 7th place!


What I'm trying to say is that no matter how your day or week has been, there is always a bright side. At the end of the day, if you've taught students one thing, then you've done your job. Bad day not a bad life.
Image result for teaching quotes

Questions:
1. My intro to ag students have no desire to learn about FFA or what FFA is- many of them do not want to go to college and/or have no interest in agriculture. How do I gain their attention and make them see the benefit that the National FFA Organization has to offer them?

2. Forestry and Soils is an incredibly challenging class for me, any advice on how to make this class more engaging or ideas of where to get resources for lessons would be greatly appreciated.



1 comment:

  1. Kayla, in a profession filled with ups and downs, focusing on the bright spots and using them to keep the end in mind are key. Not every student that walks through the door of an ag classroom will pursue a career in the industry, but every single one of them can benefit from what they learn in class and through FFA membership. Focusing on employability and leadership skills such as resume and cover letter writing, practice interviews, leading a team, and planning events are things that are part of being a successful adult. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete